Featured Appearances by Lila Azam Zanganeh
In January 2017, Lila was selected to serve on a panel of five judges, chaired by Baroness Lola Young, for the 49th Annual Man Booker Prize for Fiction. The following October, the jury selected Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders as the 2017 winner.
From April 25–May 1, 2016, Lila took part in the PEN World Voices Festival. The NYU School of Law hosted "In Conversation: Salman Rushdie and Lila Azam Zanganeh".
From October 22–25, 2015, Lila participated in Zurich liest 2015, including an interview with the poet and author Ilija Trojanow.
From October 14–18, 2015, Lila took part in the 67th annual Frankfurt Book Fair, alongside the release of the German-langauge edition of her book, Der Zauberer Nabokov und das Glück
From July 3–July 7, 2013, Lila was invited to participate in FLIP: Paraty International Literary Festival as a featured author.
From January 24–27, Lila participated in the 2013 Hay Festival Cartagena de Indias Colombia. Along with Philipp Blom, Paul Dolan, Dinaw Mengestu, and John Ralston Saul, Lila engaged in a discussion with Hay Festival founder Peter Florence. She was also part of a conversation with author Juan Gabriel Vásquez and editor Valerie Miles (Duomo Ediciones). In October 2012, Lila was a featured contributor to the Hay Festival in Xalapa, Mexico.
Past Appearances and Events
Lauren Elkin joined Lila at Shakespeare and Company in Paris to discuss "the shredding of straightjackets" in life and art as well as the sensuous visions of Vladimir Nabokov.
- April 17, 2014
"We read to re-enchant the world." Lila presented Love & Literature at Tilburg Univeristy in the Netherlands as part of the Nexus Institute, an organization that brings together the world's foremost intellectuals, artists and politicians.
- April 10, 2014
The Greene Space (WNYC): Catherine Millet, Jean-Christophe Valtat, and Edmund White took part in a discussion hosted by Lila about Proust's enduring legacy and his motifs of love and jealousy.
- October 28, 2013
The inaugural Écrivains du Monde festival featured Lila and 27 other writers from 19 different countries.
- September 20–22, 2013
Lila presented The Enchanter: Nabokov and Happiness for the first time in German at the Internationales Literaturfestival Berlin 2013.
- September 13, 2013
Lila hosted the final session of the BOZAR Book Club in Brussels, Belgium. She introduced the novel Ulysses by James Joyce.
- June 18, 2013
- At the 2013 International Conference "Vladimir Nabokov et la France," Lila discussed the work of Vladimir Nabokov with Brice Matthieussent, Michel Schneider, and Paula Jacques.
- May 30–June 1, 2013
- In a literary meeting at the Odeon Theater in Paris, host Paula Jacques and Lila discussed the work and life of Vladimir Nabokov, as well as Lila's book L'Enchanteur: Nabokov et le bonheur.
- May 27, 2013
- Lila participated in FILBo: Bogotá's 26th Annual International Book Fair
- April 18–May 1, 2013
- L'ancora del Mediterraneo sponsored Lila's presentation of her book, Un incantevole sogno di felicità: Nabokov, le farfalle e la gioia di vivere at Salone internazionale del libro di Torino.
- May 11–13, 2012
- Lila spoke on a panel hosted by the Northeast Modern Language Association: "Crossing the dark sky of exile’: Vladimir Nabokov and the Issue of Exile"
- March 15, 2012
- Lila received the 2011 Roger Shattuck Prize for Criticism (introduced by Adam Shatz) at The Center for Fiction.
- July 14, 2011
- Lila took part in the Festival of New French Writing at New York University.
- February 24–26, 2011
- Lila participated in the PEN World Voices Festival 2010 in New York City. View Lila's author page at PEN.org »
- April 26–May 2, 2010
- Lila moderated two panels at the 2009 Festival of New French Writing with authors Marie N'Diaye and Abdourahman Waberi in conversation with Francine Du Plessix Gray and Philip Gourevitch.
- February 26–29, 2009
- Lila took part in the panel LOLITA in AMERICA in New York, and discussed the burning of books in a talk titled "Destroy and Forget: The Secret of Durable Pigments." Read a description of the panelists »
- September 28, 2008
- Lila moderated three panels at the 2008 PEN World Voices Festival: Fiction from Fact, Crossing Borders, and The Publisher, the Poet, the Editor, and his Novels. View Lila's author page for the event »
- May 2–3, 2008
- Lila took part in the first edition of the International Forum of the Novel, in Lyon, France, acting as the moderator for the round-table discussions: "I as primary matter," "Literature and trauma: from past to present violence," and "Confronting the reality of our characters; a novelist's view."
- May 30–June 3, 2007
- Lila appeared on a panel for the Association of Writers & Writing Programs at their annual conference in Atlanta, Georgia. The discussion: Can literature bridge the widening chasm between the Middle East and the West?
- February 28, 2007
- Lila took part in the Ravello Festival 2006 in Italy.
- August 16, 2006
- Lila was joined in conversation with Azar Nafisi, Shirin Neshat, Roya Hakakian, Azadeh Moaveni, Naghmeh Zarbafian, and Sussan Deyhim. This sold-out event in the Celeste Bartos Hall (the Library's largest auditorium) was broadcast on BookTV (CSPAN 2).
- April 19, 2006
- The Levantine Cultural Center hosted several young Iranian intellectuals at Pacific Arts Center. Lila Azam Zanganeh, editor of the Uncensored Iranian Voices anthology, spoke with No god but God author Reza Aslan about the path to peace and democracy in Iran.
- April 9, 2006
- "South-Asia Rescue," A fundraiser for the victims of the South-Asia earthquake at The Asia Society in New York City. This event, organized and hosted by Lila Azam Zanganeh, raised over $1,000,000 for the International Rescue Committee. The keynote speaker was Hillary Clinton.
- November 28, 2005
- Lila held a Cultural Diplomacy Seminar at Columbia University: "Translation into English: What's at Stake?"
- November 2, 2005
- Lila held a Cultural Diplomacy Seminar at Columbia University: "Designing an effective and responsive methodology for cross-cultural dialogue."
- March 28, 2004
- Lila hosted a discussion at Columbia University titled "Institutionalizing cultural diplomacy in the 21st Century."
- March 27, 2004
- "Shifting perceptions of the Middle East after the war: A clash of cultures within Iraq" at The Cooper Union in New York City.
- October 18, 2003
- "Shifting perceptions of the Middle East: US-Iran case study" at The Asia Society in New York City.
- April 2, 2003